One of my favorite things to eat growing up was my mom’s “Honey Braised Chicken”. I remember when we all sat down to eat dinner as a family and this was for dinner, not only did we each get the usual utensils of a knife, fork, spoon and dinner plate, we each also got a wet wash cloth. This chicken is some of the stickiest chicken you will ever eat…..but it is sooooo good! The sweet and savory combination between the chicken, ginger and pineapple is such a good compilation. The addition of steamed rice makes this dinner complete! Here’s the recipe! Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 2 lbs of chicken wings or legs
- 3-4 Tbsp peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 bunch of green onion
- ½ cup of orange juice
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger (sliced up)
- 2 Tbsp honey (I use way more than this-I uses like 2-3 big squeezes out of the bottle)
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- Fresh pineapple chunks & thinly sliced green onions for garnish
- Wash chicken & pat dry. Heat oil in wok or heavy skillet. Add chicken, 2-3 stalks of green onion (sliced into 1 inch pieces) and ginger root. Over medium heat, brown slowly for 10 minutes, turning chicken several times. Drain excess oil.
- Mix orange juice, honey, soy sauce & salt. Pour over chicken in pan. Cover & simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is done. (Juices run clear) *** Side note: What I do here is use a food thermometer. For poultry I make sure that the temp reads 180 degrees F before I consider it finished. Once the chicken is nearly finished I also take the lid off the pan to try to let the sauce thicken)
- Remove chicken onto warm serving platter. You can boil the juices down if you feel it needs to thicken a bit more, (maybe about 2 minutes), then spoon it over the chicken. Garnish with pineapple chunks and some additional green onion slices (from about 2-3 stalks).
- Enjoy!***Disclaimer: I forgot to add the picture of orange juice & salt to the pic with all my ingredients! Oops! I don’t want to mislead anyone! I just got too excited taking my pictures!