Working moms are a breed all their own. (Or should I say all our own? Ha!) If you ask me, it’s not very difficult to single us out, and if you are one of us, forget about it! You just know. But how might you ask? Well, I can tell you that there are some characteristics and similarities that all of us working moms possess. Maybe as you read these you might nod in acknowledgement. If you find the time to read this that is. Am I right?!?!
Well on with the list……10 Signs You Know You Are a Working Mom!
1. The fact that you even want to read this! No seriously though, would you even consider reading this if this wasn’t the case…just sayin!
2. Your breast pump bag has now become one of your everyday work accessories, extra parts and all! You lug that beast with you every day to work like it’s going out of style. This along with your purse, lunch bag and work bag makes you the official working mom bag lady!
3. You now carry breast milk. Yes, little bottles of breast milk for your little one. You carry them in your little cooler with its ice packs and you carry them proudly. You might even store them in the employee fridge and your fellow co-workers LOVE you for it! Just kidding. It totally freaks them out.
4. Your days are long….I mean lllooooonnnnGGGG-UUHHH! You wake up at the crack of dawn to nurse or in my case pump. Then you proceed with getting ready for your work day….you know, showering and getting dressed for the day ahead. This is a luxury to most moms. Finding the time to shower and to wear anything besides yoga pants can be hard at times for us mothers! Then, after you complete your long work day, you come home to tend to your little ones until it is time for bed time. This leads into #5!
5. You become a night owl. Not by choice but by necessity. Once you get your little one to bed, that’s when you get sh*t done! Laundry, dishes, chores….all that fun stuff…its done at night! For me, that means staying up way later than when my body tells me! Which then leads into #6.
6. The Mombie. You know, it’s the zombie version of a mom. You are soooo tired from staying up late and then having to wake up at 5am in the morning that you’re like a walking, talking…..well mumbling….version of your true self. It truly is amazing you get anything done, but you keep trucking along because you know you must.
7. Free time? What free time? I’ll tell you what free time….it’s your morning and evening commute to and from work! You look forward to it! You enjoy it! You actually wish it was longer!! This is the one time that you are under no obligations whatsoever! Besides obeying traffic laws of course. But this is your time, you can listen to whatever music you want as loud as you want. You can think about the day and just unwind. I LOVE it!
8. During your 9 to 5, you find yourself scrolling through pictures of your little one on your phone. I mentioned this once before and I’ll mention it again. I do this ALL the time! I miss my little guy so much while I am at work and I find myself sneaking little peaks at my phone just so I can see his precious little face and picture him in my arms.
9. You NEVER pack your lunch. Because who has time for that right?! Certainly not you! You reminisce of the days when you packed your Mason jar salads every day of the week, complete with every color of the rainbow and jam packed with nutritional value. Now, by the time I get my little man to bed I’m too tired to think about packing lunch. Besides, I have other more important things to do. And in the morning I’m still exhausted because I had to wake up early to take care of my motherly duties (pumping/ nursing). So I buy lunch EVERY day. It’s getting quite expensive actually.
10. Coffee is your new best friend. With the lack of sleep and the long hours coffe is an absolute necessity. You need it like plants need water and drink at least 2-3 cups a day. Big cups. For me, this means I make a cup for my morning commute. I finish it before I even make it to work because I can actually drink it uninterrupted so once I get to work I buy more. Then, around midafternoon, if I still feel in a slump I go for more. Yeah, my coffee mug is an accessory along with my breast pump bag. So what?! Coffee is gooooood!!
So, there you have it! If you are exhibiting any of these signs then it is very likely you are a working mom. And with that, it is also very likely you are a super woman! Be proud! Hang in there. Remember you are not alone and there are other working moms out there going through all of the same things you are. If you know another working mom, be supportive of her. We need other moms to share our experiences with… to laugh and cry with because being a working mom can be hard, funny, enlightening and frustrating all at the same time!
Do you have anything you want to add to this list? It’s kind of funny to think of how much your work life changes once you become a mom. I know I didn’t cover it all so if I missed something feel free to comment below! Thanks for reading!