As each day passes, I can’t help but to think as I’m looking down at James that he will never be this little again. I get sad thinking that I am one day closer to the day that he will no longer want his mommy to hold him. He will no longer want to play with his toys. He’ll no longer seek comfort from inside his daddy’s arms. He’ll stop sucking his thumb and doing all of the cute little baby things that he does.
It’s sad but at the same time I’m excited to see what the future will bring for our little boy. There’s so much I want for him to see and experience. And so much I want to tell him. So so much! And with time being as precious as it is….I can’t list it all out now. But I can narrow it down….so here are the 5 Things I want my Son to Know.
- Love Yourself. James, you are so loved. Between me and your father, your sister, your grandparents and all your aunts and uncles….and your fur brother too….you are loved beyond anything you could imagine. But love yourself too, it’s completely ok. As you get older, love yourself enough to do what is best for you. This means taking care of yourself, eating right and exercising. Also, knowing when a situation is disrespecting to yourself and it’s time to walk away. It won’t always be easy, but if you love yourself, that’s what matters. You only have one life on this earth. Make the most of it and love yourself to the fullest potential! Just don’t get full of yourself! There’s a difference!
- Don’t be a bully. Treat others as you would want to be treated. There’s nothing more hurtful than to be made fun of. If you see others making fun of someone, don’t join that crowd. Stand up for that person being bullied. They are at their most vulnerable at that very moment. They need someone more than ever. You can be that person to them.
- Stand up for yourself. This goes along with #2. I always told your sister, don’t ever bully others. But if someone bullies you, stand up for yourself. Your sister always knew that I would not tolerate her bullying others and that if she ever got caught doing that she would be in big trouble. But if the tables were turned, and she was the one being picked on, I would not get mad at her for sticking up for herself. So James, stick up for yourself if you need to. If you are willing to stick up for others, you should be willing to do the same for yourself if needed. With that being said, it is also important for you to know when it is better to just walk away from the situation. Some times that is needed and that is all you can do.
- Nothing is for free, but anything is possible. James, in this life you have to work to get where you want to be. And you have to work hard. Don’t expect handouts. You have to work for the things you want. This might also mean stepping out of your comfort zone. But if you put in the work to back yourself it will all be worth it. Work hard every day with a purpose and a goal. If you do this, anything is possible. The world is at your fingertips and you can make the most of it. Work hard then play hard my boy.
- Enjoy life. Life is short. It’s up to you to make the most of it! Live for life experiences, not for material things. Fall in love, get your heart broken, fall in love again, see the world, meet different people, eat different things, enjoy all that life has to offer! Because life is one hell of a ride and you only get one chance at it!